Locomotive 7202 was originally built as 5277, at a cost of £4380 in 1930, but due to the depression and decline in coal traffic at that time it was promptly put in store. 5277 was taken out of store in 1931 to have ATC fitted and then returned to store. During 1934 no.5277 was taken out of store again, and this time converted to 7202, the total cost of the conversion and fitting of ATC came to £200. 5277 ran a total of 974 miles, which was probably for running purposes around the Swindon area. From new the engine was fitted with boiler number C5248, this cost £993, giving a total cost for 7202 of £5573.
When constructed as 5277 and when converted to 7202 the livery carried was unlined green, with "GREAT WESTERN" on the tank sides, as was the standard at the time.
During it life 7202 ran a total of 641,881 miles and was withdrawn in 1964, and went to Barry scrap yard to await its fate.
In 1973 the Great Western Society purchased the engine and was one of the last batch of engines to leave Barry by rail. Once at Didcot no much was done, except some preventative maintenance, until a group started to do a cosmetic restoration. Once 3822 was running the Heavy Freight Group (The Mob) then turned their attention to 7202, the rest as they say is history.